Saturday, February 4, 2012

1. Broken

I received some new challenges from a friend of mine and decided to post these. :)

1. Broken

Sarah slumped to her knees, a tear falling down her cheek. She pounded her fist on the ground and shouted up to the sky, “Are you happy, God?! Cause I’m not! You took it all away! Everything! I didn’t think that this was what the Bible meant when it said that I must surrender everything! I don’t understand! Why did you do this?!”

Burying her face in her hands, she sobbed heavily. Her whole body shook. Her heart pounded. After a few minutes, she contained herself. She pulled her hands away from her face and wiped the tears from her swollen, red eyes. She lifted up her head and sighed.

Two days earlier, her best friend, Catherine, lost in a battle with cancer. It broke Sarah’s heart, shattering it into many little shards. The next day, she got a phone call telling her that her mother and younger sister had gotten into a car accident, killing them both. Then, today…well, today was the worst of all. Her house burned to the ground… her father; her brother and his girlfriend were all caught inside, along with their two dogs and her turtle, Phillip. Everything was gone. All she had was the clothes which she was wearing and her pocket Bible, which she carried with her everywhere. Her brother had given it to her.

Pulling it out of her back pocket, she opened it gently and read the inscription in the front cover:

To my favorite sister, Sarah:

You’re the best sister anyone could ask for. I hope that this helps you in your times of need and when you need a little bit of scripture. I love you and will always be here for you, as you’ve always been for me.

Love, Kyle, your little brother

Her body shuddered and tears slid down her face once again. The drips turned into a steady flow. She held the Bible to her chest and rocked back and forth on her knees. As she was crying, a strong hand rested on her shoulder. She jumped up at the touch and turned around. A man was standing there, looking at her. She looked into his smiling face. His eyes were bright and filled with love and compassion. She asked through sobs, “Who are you?”

He grinned and answered, “Just someone. I can tell you this though; I can see that you’re hurting and need a friend. I can tell that you’re experiencing a lot of pain right now and I want to help you.”

He held out his hand and asked kindly, “I’m going for a walk. Would you like to join me?”

No comments:

Post a Comment