Monday, June 6, 2011

Guilt

I make no sound as I pace behind my door, wringing my hands. I prefer not to go into public, but I can’t miss the most important day of my life. Slowly, I turn the cold, brass knob and stick my head out of the door. I glance around confirming that no one is watching. I lift my hands to my face and inhale deeply. The stench of death still lingers on my hands and arms. I sigh and walk to my car, naturally tip-toeing. I drive to the ceremony, only to see people crying and hugging. As I pull in, people stop to look at my car. My heart stops beating, “They know it was me.”

I open the door and climb out. Lily, my loving girlfriend, rushes to embrace me.

“Did you get a new car?” she asks.

I turn towards my car and realize why people were staring; a cherry red mustang was sitting behind me; a graduation present from my grandparents. Lily looks into my eyes and wonders, “Did you hear what happened last night? Billy was murdered.”

A pang of guilt shoots through my heart. I push Lily from me and run towards the school. Lily follows. I can’t get away from it; people crying, people staring, my heart pounding. Why did I do it? What have I done?


That was a writing challenge from a friend of mine. She actually gave me the challenge last...December and I sadly just completed it. It was a decent challenge though, even if it was a little bit short.


God Bless.

Angela

4 comments:

  1. *coughs* I like her friend's name. ;)

    that was kind of sad, but also really well written. Can you finish it? I'd love to read the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I don't know how to end it. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that! Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete