Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Secrets

Carlos bent his knee and looked up. Caroline returned his gaze.

“I love you, Caroline…will you-will you marry me?”

A tear shimmered in her eye. She looked down upon him, smiling intently.

“I love you too.”

Slowly sliding the ring on her finger, he stood. He reached her arms around her and held her tightly. He brought his mouth to her ear and whispered quietly, “I have something to tell you.”

Gently pulling away from him, she looked into his eyes. A lone tear slid down his face.

“What is it?” she asked.

“I’m leaving. I’m heading across seas.”

Caroline squeezed his hand.

“I don’t understand.”

“I’ve joined the Navy…I’m leaving…next week….I-I meant to tell you, but I was afraid you wouldn’t love me anymore.”

“Why would you think that? I’ll always love you…”

Caroline buried her face into his shoulder and cried. Carlos held her until her eyes were dry. He grabbed her hand and led her out of the garden in silence.


This was a writing challenge for a friend in a series of ten challenges, so this story will be finished. I know, it was pretty poor writing on my part, but I just needed something written this summer...

God Bless,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment